Wednesday, August 6, 2008

My Sunday morning...


I woke up as late as 6.45 am to say my morning prayers. Yes, seek forgiveness. We human do sin sometimes. As I prepare my small luggage bag, in case I need to change later in the day, I looked into the mirror. Plain Saiful Adli. How time flies and one thing struck my mind - I'm not getting any younger..

Lan, my buddy, confidente and personal helper, came around to my house at 7.45 am and after sending Adlan to his soccerkid practise, we make our way to Teluk Intan, 92 km away from Ipoh through the fastest route, not the shortest. Common mistake among political greenhorns. Its the start of a long Sunday for me, with expected twists and turns along the day.

I was born in Teluk Anson, the old name for Teluk Intan. My family and myself moved to Ipoh back in December 1976 and I was only two then. Both my paternal and maternal grandparents were from Teluk Intan. Chikus, Sungai Tunku, Sungai Sumun and Batak Rabit are places that can all be associated to my family, someway or rather.

We arrived at Teluk Intan around 9.30 am and I went straight to Kedai Pak Ya, a popular breakfast joint for the local UMNO people. Here is where the latest news and rumours about local politics are discussed and more often than not, with some embellishment. Its like having breakfast with tabloids.

There are always familiar faces at Kedai Pak Ya. There's Wak Hashim and Sudin satay today. I had a malay diet breakfast - nasi lemak, two half-boiled eggs and two mugs of coffee. Here I set my eyes and ears on the local people, there's a lot to be learnt. Simple people with simple thinking and simple needs. They talk simple too. And their simpleness means that they can be very direct sometimes. Humility and sincerity is the way to blend with plenty of smiles and laughs too.

My trips to Teluk Intan have always boosted my motivation, if not my ego. Many years ago, my late father was the local leader. A respected one. And more respected after 'they' toppled him and realised that the leader they brought in to replace my late father was no equal. 'Anak arwah Dato Resad' - is how I'm normally referred to. Honestly, that reference always strike the very bottom of my soul. It sinks into me a sense of pride, but more often, it kicks into me a sense of responsibility to continue arwah's good deeds to the people of Teluk Intan.

The routine mantra now begins. Its politics time.

I was joined by Hasnol dan Dani, two young youth aspirant who are worlds apart in style and mind-method. We discussed the latest political developments and update ourselves with the local news. One is a newcomer yet hard worker. The other is a dreamer yet try to impress others for the wrong reasons.

Its 10 am and we are on the move. It's gonna be a long day. Three UMNO branch meetings and for me, its a combination of public relations exercise, understanding the micro needs of each locality and of course, the expansion of political influence. In layman terms, its more like meet-the-people, warm-hand-shakes, gentle-shoulder-pat and sharing-political-news and concerns.

First stop is Kampung Batak Rabit. Its my maternal grandmother's home-village actually. One of my 'home-ground' when it comes to political equation. The Branch head is Awalluddin Osman, fondly known as Buntak. A humourous, unpredictable yet reasonable character. Warm gestures were quickly exchanged and good (sweet-talking) words were subject of loud-cheeky laughs. That is the normal scenario you would get to see at most UMNO branch meetings in Teluk Intan, that is.

The meeting started with the branch permanent chairman taking the microphone and announced the attendance. Coincidently, the permanent chairman is the branch head's elder brother, one happy go lucky Zul Lobo. Yes, Lobo and he is mid 50s. Talk about cronyism in UMNO, but hey, come to Kampung Batak Babit Teluk Intan and make your own assessment. They are all family here, and this is how things work. No disgruntled voices over such arrangements because that is what the merit warrants.

Speeches by the Youth Head, Nadziruddin Wak Bandi, Buntak and Haji Rahman Sheikh followed. Haji Abdul Rahman Sheikh is running for the Deputy Division Head post and this is his home-branch. I respect this man for his sheer guts and "never say die attitude". Hard-pressed by political ploys to block his nominations, he fights and remain a fighter till death do him apart. A character and attitude UMNO must have for old age.

While the speakers are making fiery 'perjuangan' speeches, I sat at the back of audience with friends and 'plotters'. *Grins. There were Man Black, Din Majid, Atan, Awang and few others. While the general public may think UMNO is corrupt, filled with conspiracies and power-crazy people, I would always argue otherwise.

Recently, an old friend criticized UMNO for being 'a dirty-out-of-trend party'. I shrug him off by saying "you are not even a member of UMNO.. dont tell things to me like you know. You have no idea what UMNO really is like." The conversation went on by him saying to me, "dont waste your time with politics bro, its dirty and unworthy". I dont know why I immediately got furious.

I told straight to his face. "If it's dirty, what are you doing to help make a difference? Political power is the very basis of the our future. This is Tanah Melayu and I'll defend that even if it means sacrificing my life. Its nothing personal for myself. Its for my children's future and its my duty bound. I'm not ashamed to use all my knowledge and resources, slug it off in the mud and dirty myself, if that what it takes for me to try make a difference. Even if I failed, atleast I can say that I have tried my utmost best the whole of my life".

UMNO is not what many outsiders imagine it is. Yes, I will admit that there are some unhealthy practises in UMNO but in all fairness, UMNO is like your 'rumah pusaka'. The house that you were born and bred, raised and fed. No matter how old, dirty or fragile it gets, you can never sell your 'rumah pusaka'. It would be like selling your soul. It would be like selling your roots.

The meeting is now almost over. Nominations were as expected. Haji Termizi Hj Yusof as Division Head, Haji Abdul Rahman Sheikh as Deputy Division Head and Anwar Mestar as Vice Division Head. I shall not bore readers with the the ploy behind the nominations, its too complicated. But one thing certain, I got my 19th nomination from Kampung Batak Rabit this morning as Vice Head of the Division Youth Wing and maintained my 100% nomination thus far.

After having feast-lunch, I seek permission to leave. Its already 12 noon and there's more meetings and more political meet-ups and discussions (yes, conspiracies too) for me to attend to. As usual, Lan was already at the car. I said my thanks to Buntak, his wife, Zul Lobo, Rahman Sheikh and a whole lot more. Well, everyone. More warm-hand-shakes, gentle-shoulder-pat and meaningful-eye -contact. And I said my silence prayers for my maternal grandmother, Hajjah Halijah Said.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Simple people with simple thinking and simple needs. They talk simple too. And their simpleness means that they can be very direct sometimes. Humility and sincerity is the way to blend with plenty of smiles and laughs too.


i love d way u see ur ppl...

as for me "Simplicity leads to elegance"....hehehehehe