Saturday, July 12, 2008

Transition of Power : June 2010



The first thing I did this morning was to settle on the newspapers. Pak Lah had announced yesterday in an closed-door UMNO meeting for top leadership, we call it "ketua empat peringkat", that he will step down as President of UMNO in June 2010 and Pak Lah has chosen Najib as his "hand-picked" successor.

I let myself two mugs of coffee before I come to terms with the statement.

My initial response is that democracy in UMNO is dead. A leader "hand-picked" his successor, declares it in open forum and expect others to follow.. what can we tell about that..? Were member's opinion sought? Yes, anyone may contest.. but we have decided, after me is you, then after you, him...

When will UMNO learn that this so called tradition is no longer the accepted trend in UMNO. The words of a leader, unlike during my father's and forefather's time, is subject to scrutiny by ordinary members. UMNO have grown too big to have single voice accepted by everyone.

Zaman ahli-ahli UMNO hanya menjadi tukang tepuk tangan dan tukang memenuhkan dewan sudah berakhir.

I never fancied Ku Li, but I agreed with what he reported to have said in the Star today. Its improper for Pak Lah to hand over post as it is an elected post and I shall add, its also improper for Pak Lah to treat the Presidency of UMNO as if he has the right of ownership to pass it to whoever he like.

I'm an UMNO member. I have no time for all these footsie-tootsie. Its time to work and work hard to gain the trust of all Malays and non Malays to support UMNO. June 2010 may be a little too late. Pak Lah have to go now and let UMNO members pick his successor.


No comments: